Pixie Post

Thursday, July 27, 2006

It arrived

The catalogue of classes for the Manawatu Quilt Symposium, NZ's 12th National Quilt Symposium has arrived. It's a work of art. It's in glorious colour, and it has photographs to support the description of each and every class. Choosing a class is a bit of a challenge, the range of classes and tutors is great. Check them out here. A little Jane Sassaman to expand my repetoire? Shall I go show Susan Carlson my fish? Stitch some holes with Sue Dennis? Learn some quilting with NZ's guru Heather Harding? Celebrate the pacific with Barbara Bilyard?

Come and join us in Palmerston North on 19 to 24 January 2007.

Of course some of my new found blogging friends will be there. Shirley is teaching dyeing, surface design and a beautiful quilt class, and Kirsty is very busy teaching applique, machine quilting, a quilt and a bag! I hope I'll at least get to have coffee with you two.

My challenge is to get my act together so I can enter a quilt or two into the exhibition. I've had work accepted into Symposium for the last 4 shows. It's a juried show, fiercely competitive....well, hard to get into at any rate. Our National Symposium is held every two years. I've won a ribbon or two in the past, so I aim at least to have something juried into the exhibition! So far there are wonderful works of art in my head, and a little fabric collecting going on. Entries are due in November.

If the truth be told, I'd go just to see the exhibitions, enjoy the company of 100s of wonderful women, and browse the merchants mall, but it would be a shame to miss out on learning from some of the best quilt makers from all around the world wouldn't it?

Ahhh, all a girl really needs is something to look forward to.

2 comments:

kirsten said...

You're right - it will be a busy week! Wish I could do some classes myself :)

Shirley Goodwin said...

Certainly will! If my classes are big enough to go ahead, I'll hardly have time to sniff around the merchants and look at all the quilts. Look forward to seeing you there Pixie.