Pixie Post

Sunday, September 02, 2007

Pp

Sometimes, in my world full of sons and the male dominated world I work in, I feel the need for a little something pretty. I whipped this up, it was supposed to be a speedy quilt, for me, at the same time I made the fleece backed quilts for the boys. In the spirit of use-what-you-have, I hand-dyed the border fabric one quiet afternoon. I pieced the back from bits of stashed fabric, and an old curtain. I even pieced left over cotton batting together 'til I had a piece big enough. Then I thought I would quilt it heavily with a quarter inch grid. I soon realised the folly of that, it would take forever, so I stuck to a quarter inch diagonal line. Somewhere along the way, the lines developed a curve, and of course, each row magnified the curve a tiny bit more, and now the quilting looks horrible. The quilt is creased in the photo from being folded and left neglected in a corner. But now that I've got it out again, I realise I really do love it. I call it the virginal quilt, just quietly. Well, if I'm going to be sleeping by myself, I might as well sleep among flowers. I can't imagine inviting any man to join me under it, it's far too pretty for that!

P is apparently also for perfectionist. Because that quilting is going to be unpicked, and I'm going to start again.
See, the back is pretty too.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there Hele, I've been meaning to comment on your blog for ages, especially after your posting about Jack, who sounds gorgeous. If my 5.5 yr old turns out like that I'll be happy. And I do love girlie quilts!

Helen said...

Love the description "Virginal Quilt" tee hee!

The Sagittarian said...

Now then, about that quilt that you haven't made me yet...it's clearly far too late for me to put my hand up for the "virginal" quilt. Hm, maybe a racy red one??

islaygirl said...

i adore that quilt.

Joanna said...

Ummmm from where I'm sitting, the quilting looks pretty darn good! Maybe it looks bad in real life, I don't know...but the fabrics are gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful.