Pixie Post

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Come and see my garden

Everyone who knows and loves me has been bored silly with tales of how I've worn myself out, hurt my back, given up swimming on Saturdays.....all because of my garden.
Here it is. Best it's ever been.
While I've had bursts of gardening over 16 years in this house, I never made it a priority. And then I moved out for a year, a couple of years ago now, during which time the lawns weren't mowed, nothing was trimmed....well, you can imagine. So I have toiled for about 12 months now.....let me show you around.
This is the very top of my long skinny section (block to you Aussies) and it's the home of my vege garden. The wind has wrecked the beans, the peas have fallen off their stakes, but there are beetroot, spinnach, carrots (must thin them out), leeks and lettuce. It's the third time (different houses) I've made a vege garden. This was a very low budget dig-up-a-patch-of-grass kindof garden. It's fun! There's a seat at the end there, it has the best view, photo to come in another post, and gets the absolute last of the sun. Sunset and a glass of wine, here I come.

This is to the right, and below the vege garden. That's a nice sunny seat to sit on. See that sloping bare earth? I'm growing to sow grass there, and plant 60 daffodil bulbs and let them naturalise. My very own daffodil lawn.

This is directly below the vege garden. It's a very steep bank. I've planted hebes, that are low growing and will spread out. 'Otara' which is a deep purpley blue, and 'champagne' a small white flower. I planted spreading rosemary too....so eventually it will all be covered. There's room for a ground cover rose I think. I'm going to find a yellow one.
This is my lovely yellow tree, in the front garden this time, taken from my bedroom window. That's an old bathtub I uncovered from the grass and weeds, with great crops of parsley, sage, chives, mint and a cute little bushy basil - Greek basil I think it's called.
and then, looking just to the left of the herb bath planter, here's the front lawn, and the bin I filled today, in one last big clean up. it's the third bin I've filled, and I've driven my packed car to the tip over a dozen times. Bamboo grows madly on that patch I've cleared today, so there'll be spraying and digging for a long time to come til it's gone for good.
Haven't I done well? And you know what, I did every single bloody inch of it ALL BY MYSELF!
But suddenly, just as becomes less toil and more pleasure, it's going horribly wrong. Which I shall have to make another post to tell you about.

1 comment:

The Sagittarian said...

Fabulous work, missy! Well done, get thee a wine!